Hair Transplant has been a transformational treatment for over 6 decades. It started as a scientific study on understanding male pattern baldness (Alopecia). It studied the main hormones causing this and what affects it the most. After identifying the problem, the treatment plan was developed. The treatment developed was Hair Transplant and further research suggested why the scalp hair is best for transplant.
Before we understand the different techniques of Hair Transplant, we should understand a few aspects of Hair Loss.
1. Hair Loss is not reduction of hair; it is the slowdown of Hair Regrowth. We all lose about 60 to 100 strands of hair a day. Our body regrows our hair quickly. Thus, the hair we lose is regrown quickly. This isn’t the case in Hair Loss, our hair production is hindered by genetics, or bad diet, or even sometimes by the pollutants surrounding us.
2. Hair Loss happens due to the conversion of Testosterone into DHT. DHT is a type of hormone that is directly related to baldness, it is also related to acne in puberty, and further can also cause prostate enlargement.
3. The level of DHT in one’s body can be reduced by DHT blocker medications. These medications do help in stopping Hair Loss, but they can’t reverse any of the prior damage done by the hormone. This damage is reversed by Hair Transplant.
Today, Hair Transplant has been widely recognised as a life-changing cosmetic procedure. This is mainly due to the fact that the science behind it has been greatly improved. The procedure has seen its fair share of innovation, both in terms of recovery time and better results. The earlier methodologies for hair transplant were often flawed. They didn’t give much results, but many left patients with serious injuries and fatal side-effects. These flaws were improved by the development of Strip-Harvesting Transplantation or Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT) method. This method was scientifically developed and has helped with better results. Today, the major innovation in the field of Hair Transplant has been Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE), this method is the talk of the day and is possibly the only method that combines: best results with fastest recovery time.
So, lets understand in some detail these two techniques of Hair Transplantation.
1. Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT)
Strip-Harvesting or FUT, is a transplant procedure where small strips containing hair grafts from donor area specifically the scalp area is extracted and transplanted into indentations made on the recipient area. The recipient area is surgically incised to a depth of about 3 to 4mm and there the strips are placed for best result.
Step by step in FUT procedure is:
- Recipient area is numbed. Small strips containing hair grafts are surgically removed.
- They are stored for implantation. The storage is done so that the extracted strips are fresh when the implantation happens.
- The implantation is done with shallow depth cuts where the strips are implanted.
- These areas are covered after being disinfected.
- The healing begins and then after 6 months results start to appear
2. Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE)
In FUE, the hair transplant happens is done not by cutting strips but by individually extracting strands of hair from the donor area and then individually being transplanted. The process of extraction that happens in the donor is the main innovation of this technique. This method has significantly reduced the risk of scarring and also lets the recovery be much quicker. Today, the majority of transplants that happen in India are transplants by FUE method.
Steps in FUE:
- In FUE the extraction is done from donor area by individually taking out strands of hair.
- These hair strands are always extracted in groups. The best groups contain about 4 grafts of hair.
- Then these hair grafts are stored in hypothermosol solution and other preservative methods are also used. This ensures grafts longevity.
- Then the grafts are transplanted into small circular spaces in the recipient area and the entire area is disinfected and healed.
- The results start to appear after the shedding phase and best results appear after 9 to 10 months post-procedure.
Hair Transplant techniques have been highly innovated still there is a matter of finesse. Most doctors see hair transplant has an implementation method and forget that if our patients are not emotionally invested and de-stressed the transplant results will disappear quickly.
So, let’s transform your Hairline with your HairMates today!